Street-Gang
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia Open Women's Day Two Latest

Go down

Australia Open Women's Day Two Latest Empty Australia Open Women's Day Two Latest

Post by forhad725 Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:02 pm

Australia Open Women's Day Two Latest

Daniela Hantuchova advances to the next round. (Getty Images)
Tuesday January 15, 2008
MELBOURNE (espnstar.com

Venus Williams cleared the first hurdle at the Australian Open on Tuesday with a straight-sets win over Zi Yan.

The eighth-seeded American needed just 74 minutes to wrap up a 6-2 7-5 success against her Chinese opponent.

Williams dominated early on, winning 93% of her first-serve points and hitting eight winners en route to wrapping up the opening set in just 27 minutes.

The second did not go as smoothly for the reigning Wimbledon champion though. She gained another early break and then found herself serving for the match at 5-3, but a series of errors allowed Yan back into the set.

Williams was given another chance to claim the match in game 12 and this time she made no mistake, taking the first of two set points to ensure safe passage through to the second round and a meeting with Frenchwoman Camille Pin.

Former U.S. Open winner Svetlana Kuznetsova, seeded second, overpowered Nathalie Dechy of France 6-3, 6-1 even though she made five more unforced errors and only got about half her first serves in play.

“I feel like it doesn't matter what day I have, I go on the court and I feel more consistent that I can change things,” Kuznetsova told reporters. “Even if I'm not playing well, I always have Plan B.”

Fellow Russian Anna Chakvetadze played only six points before German opponent Andrea Petkovic withdrew with a knee injury. Chakvetadze, a U.S. Open semifinalist in 2007, was knocked out in the first round of last week's tune-up tournament in Sydney.

Earlier, ninth-seeded Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia defeated Vania King of the U.S. 6-3, 7-5.

In the women's draw, eighth-seeded Venus Williams, a two-time Australian Open champion, faces China's Zi Yan for the first time tonight.
forhad725
forhad725

Male
Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2007-09-27

http://www.mig33world.great-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum